Customer Groups can be used in a wide variety of cases from Trade Customers, Loyal Customers or Membership type products. Here's how to set them up and manage them.
Customer Group Page
Once you're logged in to your Shop's Admin area click the Customer menu option and then Customer Groups. This will bring you to the Customer Groups Overview page. From here you can see the number of customers within each group, the discounts applied and any automatic store credit that will be given to the customer once they are added as well as the Status of Enabled/Disabled.
Adding a New Customer Group
- Click the Add New Group button
- Add a Name for the group
- Note that Customers will see this name so ensure it's suitable.
- Auto Assign: you can have one group to which all customers are assigned by default. As you can see in the image above we have setup a General Retail group that gives no discount or credit for 'normal' customers.
Access Restrictions: you can specify categories that Customers in this group cannot see/access by leaving a category unticked.
- This is useful for Trade/Wholesale or Memberships as customers within these groups may be granted access to see special products e.g. bundle products or special wholesales categories, etc.
Store Credit: you can specify an automatic amount of Store Credit to be applied to a customers account when they are added to the group. This may be used for membership programs or for Trade Credit agreements for example.
- Leave this blank if you don't want to add Store Credit.
Discount: this is, again, useful for Trade, Wholesale or Membership customers who may be allowed a discount on your standard Retail Price.
- Enter whether you would like the discount to be a Fixed Amount or Percentage based and the amount thereof
- Select the Categories in which the discounts apply e.g. a Members Only category.
- You can specify whether the customers within this group see prices of products as including or excluding VAT. This will override your normal shop settings.
- If you are supplying Digital or Audio downloads you can specify whether payment is received prior to downloading or if customers can download the product when paying by Cash, Offline Card, Bank Transfer or Purchase order. This is useful for Trade or Invoice only Customers who may pay via Invoice.
- In order for Customers to be automatically added to a Customer Group you must add a trigger product. You can of course leave this blank if you wish to manually add customers to a group.
- Click the Add Trigger Product button to bring up a search form
- Select the relevant product(s)
- Click Save
Note that Customers who are within a group (and signed in) will not be able to access products that are not assigned to a category. They will receive an error message stating that "Unauthorised. Sorry, you are not authorised to view this restricted page."
In order to resolve this just add the product into a relevant category and the product will be viewable - subject to the Customer Group Access Restrictions.