For when you need to setup a shipping rule based on a category.
Category Based Shipping - How
- Access your Shop's Admin Area
- Go to Settings>Shipping
- Click Add New Shipping Zone
- Enter Shipping Names
- Select a relevant Zone e.g. United Kingdom
- Select Based on Category from the Method Type drop down
- Choose the applicable Category(ies)
- Add Cart Totals (as needed)
- Hit Save
Category Based Shipping - Why
There are a variety of reasons why you may want to setup a shipping method based on the category an item is assigned to. For example:
- Large or heavy items e.g. furniture, etc.
- Specialist items e.g. hazardous products, paints, etc.
- Custom or personalised products e.g. bespoke or made-to-order products, etc.
- Products with a long lead time e.g. items that need to be bought in from a manufacturer/supplier prior to sending
In any and all of these cases it's essential that you let the customer know a rough idea of how long the product will take to ship to them. This sets their expectations and means, as long as you deliver on time, that they won't be chasing you for the product(s) or looking longingly out the window for the delivery man!